Skip to main content

Saving Thanksgiving (3rd Thanksgiving post!)

 I love Thanksgiving, in case you didn't know from prior posts on the old blog. Over the years I've been a vocal defender of my second favorite holiday. While Halloween is my absolute favorite, I'll go all out for some costumed mischief and pranks, I will go completely crazy to make thanksgiving right. 

Case in point - I make thanksgiving dinner three times a year just for practice. Thanksgiving day is my Super Bowl now. I make the turkey that makes people who traditionally shun and dislike turkey, love turkey. So now on to this holiday's story! 

Due to my complex life situation I had some last minute plan changes. At the last minute I was added into an invite list at a friends house where I would be able to run the kitchen! The family didn't cook much - their patriarch who does bailed last minute. To continue the Super Bowl analogy, it was as if the star QB went down and I got the nod from coach, I was going in. I put my helmet on and got into the kitchen!

Wait it gets better! (Yes, I know I used too many !!! already...) 

I was under the belief that the family I was cooking for had ordered all the necessary food and didn't like to eat turkey. I planned to make a side turkey if I could get to the store and brine it in time. Operating under the idea that everything was handled I almost didn't get the turkey. But as a guy who usually has a back up in the freezer just in case, I got one in time to prep. I intended to only make a small side turkey as a sampler for people who didn't traditionally like turkey, to convince them to give it a second chance.  

When we started unpacking the fridge we noticed there was no meat! No turkey, no ham, no anything. Just sides and way too much gravy. Single handedly I was able to save turkey day! My friend's family was deeply appreciative and I felt like I won a Super Bowl. It was pretty amazing. For years to come I get a fun story to tell with that group, a great new memory. 

So that is now my favorite Thanksgiving ever, how do I top that? 

Special thanks to the friend and her family for the invite and wonderful companionship which kept me from having to be alone. Thanks you guys!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Terrifying Science Behind The Short Story "Time Flies"

 I don't know if I mentioned Time Flies was to be a novel originally. It still may explode into one. I doubt it though the end is known... ...what isn't known however is our end. Or is it? Read this: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-9113999/Earth-spinning-faster-time-past-50-years.html snap shot here:  There - to those who may have scoffed at Dr. Morgan and Wong's efforts to save us from the cosmic horrors forcing our world to flee.

Refocus time; June is PTSD awareness month

 Sometimes we get away from our core focus and skills. This blog is about the craft, but I'm not the expert or master, I'm still learning. I enjoy my work with the Gettysburg Writers Brigade (hereafter GWB) and I am an active contributor. My primary focus needs to be on my voice and my writing and my fans. Today at GWB we focused on branding. I think I write from a place of great hurt. My brand is dark, suspicious, subversive, angry, but it's also hopeful, healing, and even loving. My heroes overcome with great sacrifice, they succeed because of their hurt, they're limitations. Certain important ideals I hold dear shine through.  One of my compatriots in the GWB, lets call him Tumbleweed, said after reading Salem that the best part was the afterword (he enjoyed the story too). The message about my own hurt and experience with healing, the resources listed and my offer to help anyone who asks, anyone that finds them in those haunted places near death where that story cam

Women, victimized by those who claim to be their advocates.

 https://www.infowars.com/posts/watch-swimmer-riley-gaines-testifies-about-violent-backlash-faced-since-speaking-out-against-trans-in-womens-sports/ Me, I'd say if my daughter were subjected to this, well, I'd be loading magazines. This is not supporting 'diversity' or equal rights, this is continued, backward victimization of women.  Why do I care?  Those of you who know me know I was passed over for promotion. So a female who was married to a superior officer could take my spot. She was pregnant and therefore temporarily ineligible for promotion. I would let that go, except that she had 1 deployment under her belt, I had 9 at that time. I had rank on her, E6 vs 5. I don't know how she earned so much rank without combat in the years between 9/11 and 2003.  That didn't matter. I held a master's degree and more than a  decade of experience overseas, at the time. That's what really bothered me. I brought this to my chain of command. It was a terrible strug