Skip to main content

Happy White People New Year

 As many of you know, I celebrate Chinese New Year, not this one. Still, it's important enough to comment on. 

I'm wondering about your resolutions and how successful those have been. 

For me, this year, I'm doing the dry January thing and giving up smoking again. I restarted smoking when a friend, Justin, got me back into it after I survived a near-deadly hornet sting in June. Yes, I was almost killed by a bee sting. Didn't know I was allergic. EMTs took 45 minutes to get to me, took 2 epipens to save me. Docs at the ER said I was 5 minutes from death. Since then, I've had a ton of medical issues. A week after the sting my primary care follow-up sent me back to the er for more testing and monitoring, it was that bad.  

Dr. Manning (UPMC) said an allergic reaction like that can kick-start latent medical issues. He thinks I have MS. He's seen it before with my symptom cluster. 

Thankfully a few of my symptoms have lessened in severity, even as others have become more severe. I struggle with all of it. Makes you think about the fragility of life. 

At the time of the sting, upon release from ER, I realized that I was letting go. I didn't care. I was okay with dying. I had had a good run I told myself. And I have. 

Yes, there are things yet to live for, see my kids graduate, get married, grandkids...but none of that is particularly interesting to me for some reason. I just let go and waited to die when I was waiting for the EMTs. 

I took smoking back up and despite it, my breathing, and swallowing symptoms have thankfully improved. I am left to wonder if it was the stress of my relationship that was killing me, causing these problems by stress alone. Could it be? Why not. 

I tried telling Sarah that I felt the way I did waiting or the EMTs. She deflected the conversation and got drunk. She wouldn't talk to me about it. I felt like I was falling into my darkest hour (megadeth song awesomeness). I feel like now I'm coming out of it. I hope this new year marks an end to that hour. 

I wish all of you a better year in 2023, the last two or three have been terrible and rough for us all. The Biden administration hasn't done anything to improve it either. Records show he's only made it all worse. Not to get political, I doubt anyone else the other party had handy could have done better. 

Neither team has a good option in the hopper to give us the next election. Write me in, I'll get it fixed best I can, I'm looking at my legacy, knowing I can die any time. I'm beholden to no power, party or dogma. 

Anyway, don't want to be political. Thinking about a new year, new life, a new chance. I served this country for more than 20 years, I want to make it better, for all of us. I came from poverty, I don't want my kids the be stuck there, I want them to have a chance. Same for you and yours. 

Funny story, tried to get a date for Xmas party, no luck. Tried for NYE, no luck. Dating sites suck, most out there are scammers looking to make a buck off vulnerable people trying to find romance. Sad. The people that run the sites need to be investigated. 

But, a happy new year to all, I'm watching Titanic with my dog, then the Mist comes on next. Why not. Then maybe Jason X for giggles on the way to sleep. At least I get my kids tomorrow and can enjoy a day with them. 

Good luck in 2023 all! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Refocus time; June is PTSD awareness month

 Sometimes we get away from our core focus and skills. This blog is about the craft, but I'm not the expert or master, I'm still learning. I enjoy my work with the Gettysburg Writers Brigade (hereafter GWB) and I am an active contributor. My primary focus needs to be on my voice and my writing and my fans. Today at GWB we focused on branding. I think I write from a place of great hurt. My brand is dark, suspicious, subversive, angry, but it's also hopeful, healing, and even loving. My heroes overcome with great sacrifice, they succeed because of their hurt, they're limitations. Certain important ideals I hold dear shine through.  One of my compatriots in the GWB, lets call him Tumbleweed, said after reading Salem that the best part was the afterword (he enjoyed the story too). The message about my own hurt and experience with healing, the resources listed and my offer to help anyone who asks, anyone that finds them in those haunted places near death where that story cam

The Terrifying Science Behind The Short Story "Time Flies"

 I don't know if I mentioned Time Flies was to be a novel originally. It still may explode into one. I doubt it though the end is known... ...what isn't known however is our end. Or is it? Read this: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-9113999/Earth-spinning-faster-time-past-50-years.html snap shot here:  There - to those who may have scoffed at Dr. Morgan and Wong's efforts to save us from the cosmic horrors forcing our world to flee.

Women, victimized by those who claim to be their advocates.

 https://www.infowars.com/posts/watch-swimmer-riley-gaines-testifies-about-violent-backlash-faced-since-speaking-out-against-trans-in-womens-sports/ Me, I'd say if my daughter were subjected to this, well, I'd be loading magazines. This is not supporting 'diversity' or equal rights, this is continued, backward victimization of women.  Why do I care?  Those of you who know me know I was passed over for promotion. So a female who was married to a superior officer could take my spot. She was pregnant and therefore temporarily ineligible for promotion. I would let that go, except that she had 1 deployment under her belt, I had 9 at that time. I had rank on her, E6 vs 5. I don't know how she earned so much rank without combat in the years between 9/11 and 2003.  That didn't matter. I held a master's degree and more than a  decade of experience overseas, at the time. That's what really bothered me. I brought this to my chain of command. It was a terrible strug